Tuesday, May 05, 2009

High School Meme

High School Meme

Robyn had this meme at her place so I thought I'd give it a try. Bit of blogger block lately so what the hey? Unlike my sisters and brother, I never got to go to the cool high school, just the one in the sticks. oy.

1. Did you date someone in high school? Yes, yes I did. Dear Mother somehow let me date in Junior High which proved to be unbelievably poor judgment on her part. I think she was trying to pawn me off even then, who knows, whatever her motive, even I knew-even then- that was not a good thing and eventually restricted myself from more dates than I accepted. Eventually I dated the one, so I guess it turned out well.

2. What kind of car did you drive? Unlike my siblings, by the time I was able to drive the money had run out...even for the junkers normally associated with our family vehicles. I was huge on walking and walked several miles to and from high school each day until I met Thor. Then I bummed a ride from him and or his brother from then on to graduation. I could tell you stories! The brother and I had some pretty hilarious experiences riding from seminary to school and then from school home. Let's just say I wasn't the best at encouraging safe driving. I also got a bike my freshmen year. I didn't ride it to school because I worried about it getting stolen, but on the weekends, well that was another story. I rode that thing solid for 8 hours on Saturday if I could get away. LOVED that bike. And the freedom.

3. Did you pass your driver’s license test the first time? Yes. I followed in big brother's footsteps and got a 100 on both written and driving tests, although by the time I did that they were no longer passing out wall plaques for achieving that.

4. Were you a party animal? No. Again, a huge misstep from my mother (IMHO) because I did go to a lot of parties, although I was not what would be considered a "party animal". I never ever had a problem with the Word of Wisdom, meaning I never was tempted in the least to even try alcohol, pot, cigarettes, or any other drugs, never appealed to me, actually loathed the thought of them. I had seem way too many adults make idiots out of themselves indulging in alcohol to ever want to be caught dead drinking, and cigarettes were just disgusting.

I went to parties all the time with friends and just hung out and stood in corners like a social misfit...until one night when two girls I knew from church, two of the girls who were considered "righteous and better than most"...those two girls were skinny dippin' at a football party. Upon entering the house there was the usual drinking activities and I wandered out to the pool when I noticed what was happening. At that point seminary training kicked in and all I could think of was that "I had to get out of there fast". "Avoid the appearance of evil!" went through my head over and over.

It was the last party I ever went to.

5. Were you considered a flirt? I didn't think I was, but evidently there are those who say I was. I am embarrassed at that label.

6. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? No. But I envied those who were. I wanted SO much to be in choir, or in the drama club like my big brother and my older sister. Alas, I was a misfit. I was in "Speech Club"! I was horribly shy and figured if I went to Speech class, it would cure me. It took several years after High School for it to kick in, but in the long run it did work! I went to "Congress" and won "Best Speaker of the House" by an impromptu speech defending the Mormon Church during a mud slinging fest that had nothing to do with the "bill" on the table (legalized gambling). Go figure.

7. Were you a nerd? I would classify myself more as a loner. By the time the second semester of my freshman year had come and gone, so had all my friends. On to greener pastures they went into the popular social circles I refused to be a part of.

8. Were you on any varsity teams? Believe it or not. My only friend in high school was Cathy W. A gorgeous strawberry blond who had transferred to our farm town hick High from one of the most infamous high schools in SoCAL, one of the best football teams in the state, and where she had been a cheerleader for three years. She wanted to try out at our school and begged me to try with her. Knowing it was a popularity contest and that I had absolutely no chance of winning, I said "o.k." 12 girls tried for 6 positions. 3 of the girls fell during their individual cheer, 1 threw up, which left he odds better and better. Cathy had taught me one of her former schools cheers, which was new, catchy, and different, and I won a spot. For the first three games I stood frozen on the fifty yard line with 5 other girls screaming in unison. I am still embarrassed that I was a cheerleader... on the varsity squad.

9. Did you ever get suspended or expelled? Never. That is not to say I didn't pull a stunt or two. I ditched more times than I can tell you. Even Miss Jarvis the attendance clerk knew that I was ditching, but never turned me in. Her famous line was "Oh S'mee. You see so much tragedy for someone so young!" Whenever I wanted to ditch, which was a heck of a lot of times, I would just read the obits, find a name and a time for the funeral and write myself an off campus pass, signing mother dear's name in her perfect handwriting and off I'd go to "Aunt/Uncle" Soinso's last event. Sad.

10. Is there anything you wish you would have done or participated in during high school, but didn’t? I wish I had taken more difficult classes than I did. I got mostly A's and a few B's all through school, and yet, never took a science class, never took any math above algebra, never took a language.

11. Who were your favorite teachers? Mr. Paulson, because he believed I could be better than I was... and he told me so in a way I knew he wasn't just being kind.

12. Where did you sit at lunch? I would grab a large apple from the lunch line and hide in the library until I started dating Thor. It was his last semester in school. So we would grab an apple and sit at a table in the commons and talk until class. When he graduated I went back to the library.

13. School mascot: My name is S'mee, and that's no lie. I'll be a Bulldog until I die.

Yes, that is the cheer every girl wants to yell as an introduction to the opposing team, who's cheerleaders actually cheer fabulously and their teams always win. You're great! You're a Patriot! I? I am a DOG! oy.

14. School colors: mustard and ketchup, with an occasional splash of white. It looked really delicious during graduation, not.

15. Did you go to homecoming and who with? Once with a boy my mom set me up with. A boy from a group home for bad boys...what was she thinking? And twice with Thor, his and then mine.

16. If you could go back and do it again, would you? Not on your life. I hated high school. I hated pretty much everything about my life at that time...except meeting and dating, and eventually marrying Thor.

17. What do you remember most about graduation? That my mom and dad didn't attend, no one in my family did. But my boy friend's dad stood in the heat, in front of several hundred people and took a photo of every single graduate because he didn't know who were my friends and he wanted me to have a photo of my friends at graduation. He thought it was important that I remembered the day. I don't remember too much about it. I don't remember who I walked with, or what was said, I don't remember our class song or motto. But I do remember my now father law standing in the heat snapping up roll after roll of film to give me a memory.

18. Where did you go on Senior Skip Day? Who knows? I ditched so many days, "Senior Ditch Day" wasn't much of a thrill!

19. Were you in any clubs? Speech Club. See above. In the annual photo of our group we stood inside a planter with large leaves going up my skirt. I remember thinking my feet were getting dirty. And then, just as they flashed the photo, the girl next to me put her arm around me in a way that made me very uncomfortable; which you can tell by the expression of "WHAT THE HECK?" towards her, now captured for posterity on page 134 in the yearbook.

20. Have you gained weight since then? No. I am still 98 pounds. ahem.

21. Who was your prom date? Thor. Went to his: "Beginnings!" He went to mine: "From Here to Eternity!" He was my density.

22. Are you planning on going to your 10 year reunion? I didn't plan on going to any reunions. I hated High School and wanted nothing to remind me of it. Then at, not the 10th, but the 20th, I was convinced by a friend to attend. It was a mistake. I regret that. ugh. I won't go to another one.

23. Did you have a job while in high school? yup. I was a "nanny/housekeeper/slave" for a Dentist and his Hippy-mother wife, was a hair salon grunt, lied about my age to work at Del Taco at 14 1/2 because mom said I had to "earn my clothes from then on!" Lucky for me big brother and older Sis both worked there already and backed up my lie. I also did laundry/ironing, and sold "Current Stationery" door to door.

24. Worst class? PE I didn't like to sweat, even back then. I didn't like getting naked and showering in front of other people. I didn't understand why we all had to learn all the different sports, just to be humiliated by the girls who could kick, hit, throw, bounce, whatever better than all of us. Why couldn't I just swim all year? Or do sit ups? Or run like a maniac? Noooooo! I had to learn how to run out to the parking lot, crawl under a car and grab a tennis ball every five minutes for three weeks until they could find another way to make me crazy.

25. Favorite class? Art. By far. I adored it. I got happily lost there. I got to paint the actual walls and doors of the art department, inside and out with murals I designed. (Some of those paintings were still there after 20 years!) It was amazing. I loved it.

O.k. folks, your turn if you wish! Let me know if you do, I'd love to hear your story!

add to sk*rt

9 comments:

Robyn said...

Very nicely done! Ah the art department. My most envied location on campus, you and the other sister fit there perfectly. Me. Not so much. Thank goodness the definition of art has changed over time.

Mr. Paulson. You know what? He's my middle daughter's favorite teacher too. For the exact same reason.

Cheerleader????? ;-) You were so cute, how could you not have been one!

Sorry about not going to your graduation. But then again, I think I was living in UT at the time. (?)

S'mee said...

Thanks for the meme Robyn! It was much more fun than HS.

LeaAnne said...

Just want to tell you .. The Graduation part made me cry.. I LOVE your Father-in-Law!

S'mee said...

Thanks LeaAnne.

Boy Mom said...

That was so fun! I love getting to know people better. I guess I should do it in honor of my graduating senior...or not.

Maren said...

I was not a fan of high school either. Our colors were red and gold, or as you put it "ketchup and mustard". Never thought of it that way. I may have to do this one when I get a chance (sick kid right now).

The Pea said...

What a sweet man no wonder Thor rocks!! And might I say you make one cool groupie!!

The Hobbit said...

Just had time to read your meme I feel like I know you just a little better.Coming from a class of 45 students in an all girl Catholic high school mine would be quite dull and small town.Thanks for the insight.

Lisa M. said...

This was fun to read!

I hated High School too. Very much so!

Thanks for the smile, today!

What a remarkable man, your Father-In-Law