Thursday, November 06, 2008

Catch a Wave

There's something to be said for someone who has passion.

While taking photos of my Big Blue, I met this surfer, who definitely had passion. He explained to me he was willing to risk because the waves near the rocks were much greater, had more energy, more fun, and the rewards were worth the bruises, broken rib, and near drowning. The more he surfed there the easier it got, although the danger was always there, so he had respect for the water. "I never take her for granted. She gets my respect every time. If I am not working with her, she'll smack me with some harsh karma." After a brief introduction and exchange of words he encouraged me to grab Thor and a board and hit the waves.

His main point was that standing on the shore and looking at the action was fine, but that if Thor and I grabbed a board and tested the waters, we would grow closer together, and the experience would motivate us in many more directions than we could imagine, which again would direct us "more towards each other and, dude, the universe would just love that!" His motivation was for more love. Love of the ocean, love of the waves and participation, and love of the idea of trying to do something I'd never done before, the love between a husband and wife that would grow through doing something together that would be "gnarly at first, but dude, so gloriously awesome later."

Yea, he was in his early fourties to be sure, but "surfer dude" was all over this guy. You know, his words weren't that far off. Maybe, in this ocean of politics, we need to dive in, try something new.

I've spent some time reading blogs. Some of us are scared and or saddened because of the election results. Some of us are exhilarated and almost breathless at the thought of change. Some of us, because of the warning signs and dangers we perceive, want to clam up and stay safely on the shore. The way I look at it is we have been tossed in the Big red, white, and Blue together and we are either going to sink or swim. How bad can it be if we all work together and toss each other a board once in a while. Both candidates were extremely passionate. Let's face it, either candidate would have/will have challenges that spell "wipe out". Both candidates would need the country behind them to get anything done. When you swim in the deep, you need a life buoy near by. No one should ever swim alone. So grab your suits folks, we're headed to the beach.

This is still the United States of America. A country established by people who agitated, took risks, fought, died, adjusted, compromised, and made change happen. They fought tyrannical judges and rulers, fought for freedom in all aspects of their lives and demanded equality and justice. Some of these things are still in wet sand depending on which rock you're standing on. The point is, this country has never been a group of apathetic weenies. We rally, we rock the vote, we get things done.

Now that the initial excitement is over, let's not just sit on the shore and hope for a spray of salt water now and then; and let's not allow the waves to hit us and toss us around. Grab a board and dive into the wave, take control of those things we can, support where we can, change what we can, do what we can. Only when we stop trying do we miss out on the action or sink all together. No one gets anywhere by sulking and taking their toys home. If your idea, initiative, or candidate didn't win change your game, stay and play the best you can. Offer what you can to make things better.

As surfer dude said, we need to do this with love and much respect. Respect for each other and our differences. Let our motivation be for more love. Love of the country, love of the patriot and process, and love of the idea of trying to do something we've never done before, the love of working between ideas (and parties) that will work for something together that may be "gnarly at first, but dude, so gloriously awesome later."

The country is calling, are we ready? "I never take her for granted. She gets my respect every time. If I am not working with her, she'll smack me with some harsh karma." Maybe by diving in we can catch a wave and get this country on top of the world - again.

add to sk*rt

10 comments:

Huckleberry said...

Very nicely said. This is the positive perspective we should try to keep at the forefront of our attitudes as go about our daily lives. Thanks, - Huckleberry

Lisa M. said...

I loved this entry S'mee.

I heard, "All you need is love" in my mind.

It's always a darn good read here.

Robyn said...

Very nice post s'mee.

Laura said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS POST!!!!!!

What a way with words and pictures you have!

The Pea said...

Truly a perfect way to describe this day!! I love you tons!!

S'mee said...

Huckleberry! I've been trying to contact you all day! Thanks for commenting, you made my day!

Lisa, I heard that as I wrote it! Haha! Thanks!

Thanks Robyn!

Yolanda, you're way to generous!

Right back at ya Pea!

Kathy P said...

S'mee, this is a beautiful post... If you don't mind, I would like to link it from my site. This is what we need to do as Americans now... Thank you for the insight.

By the way, when you get a chance, check out my new Blog Carnival Angel Friday. www.realangelsreallife.blogspot.com

S'mee said...

Thanks Kathy, what a compliment! Link away! And yup, I'll go check out the new site! Thanks!

Erin said...

I found you thanks to Kathy P. Great post! I agree with everything you said. My husband lived in Hawaii for 5 years, and with the stories he and his family told about surfing and the water, I can really see the correlation you are making. Awesome!

S'mee said...

Erin! Welcome! Thanks so much for your comment, that's awesome. Hawaii huh? Poor guy. : ) Thanks again!