Thursday, September 18, 2008

dem bones

About five or so years ago I was shopping for ribs in Costco. I must have looked extremely intimidated as I shopped. I heard a smooth, deep, and slightly gravely voice slowly educate me. One of the largest men I have ever met stood behind me and asked,"You lookin' to cook up some ribs ma'am?" I turned (looked waaaay up) and replied a meager, confused and even discouraged "yeah." "Well, I don' mean no disrespec ma'am, but- you look in the mirror lately? You white! And ain't never been a white girl who kin make a good rib witout some hep. Lemme hep you out." (Grinning like a Cheshire cat at my silliness and holding back his giggles) "You see dem bones you lookin' at? They baaaad. You don' want dem missy, you want dese... ova here." I walk with him over to the expensive ribs. "You see ma'am, I use da be the head cook at a little rib joint down in Sanna Mon-ca."

At that point in the conversation my memory (and stomach) took an immediate turn to a hole in the wall on Santa Monica Boulevard where they made the best ribs in the world, or at least my world. They were amazingly moist, tender- so much so they did fall off the bone, and flavourful. The perfect combination of spice to sweet, and meaty enough to satisfy.

"You wouldn't mean 'Dem Bones' would you?" "Oh, you heard o' my little place? Yeeees ma'am. But those days is pass now. Now I find myself educatin' the likes of you folks, hehehe." "Well, please! I don't have a clue of how to start." So he clued me into a few of his tricks and from then on I have loved my version of his "dem bones" style ribs.

Last night we were scheduled to serve the missionaries dinner, so I thought a good end of summer treat would be a rack or two of ribs, fresh cole slaw and grilled pineapple. The two guys called to cancel at the last minute and so Thor and I sat down to a feast!

As you can tell from the photo, the ribs were juicy, tender enough for the bone to just sliiiide off perfectly clean and so goooooood! yum!

All because an extremely nice gentleman showed me his famous barbecue tricks! Thank you Dem Bones Man!

add to sk*rt

8 comments:

The Pea said...

So when will you be sharing the secrets with the rest of us??

S'mee said...

recipe up tamale Pea! Thanks for askin'!

Rynell said...

Oh yum! Now I'm craving some tender ribs....

I just love it when kind folks share their secrets. That was a very fortunate meeting in Costco!

S'mee said...

I felt like I met a celebrity! His tricks changes the entire way I cooked them! Lucky me!

outdoorgriller said...

The more expensive ones contain less fat and are all the same size so they cook evenly.You can also put them in foil on the grill before you place them on the grill by themselves and finish cooking and basting them with your favorite sauce.There are some good tips and recipes at www.cookingandgrillinoutdoors.com

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

That is SO incredible! The gods were smiling on you! I love people like that.

We need more people who just love others.

My mouth was watering at your picture. You have no idea what you did to me!

Alison Wonderland said...

Did you tell the missionaries what they were missing? seriously who's going to chose to go out and save souls when those are available? Not I.

S'mee said...

Hey Outdoorgriller! Thanks for the tip!

Mel...recipes tomorrow! : o

Alison, I figured it would be torture, and flat out mean, and um, now I have a ton of ribs!!!!