Saturday, April 23, 2005

Shell Game


shell frame
Originally uploaded by S'mee.

This afternoon I finally got around to a project I have been wanting to do for months! I gathered up a bunch of shells I have collected and went about placing them onto a purchased frame.

Our house is in transition. We are going away from the "Early Mother in law with splashes of Thrift Store" look, to a nice calm beachy Polynesian feel. Not that I nor Thor are remotely from Polynesia, we just like the culture and hope to acquire the "Aloha" principle via osmosis (no pun intended).

Back to the frame. White wood with a grassy linen mat. In the photo it looks more gold than green, but it is a very light celery. I used 3 & 1/2 shell necklaces, assorted star fish, sand dollars and scallops. I am not sure exactly what kind of glue the ancient sea farers used to hold their shells onto their frames, I chose a silicone sealant for its ability to withstand flex, heat, moisture and bond well. Details next post!

add to sk*rt

No comments: